Any vacation with younger children can be tough. Their age adds the need for much more planning and that planning can totally make or break your trip.
A Disney vacation is no exception! Just the size of a Disney theme park can be intimating but having a plan beforehand can ensure it is a magical experience for not only the youngest Mouseketeers, but the oldest ones, too.
I am going to share with you tips and tricks for having the smoothest Disney vacation possible with kiddos under 5! I will start with details what you need to know before the magic begins.
So, What do I need to know before the magic begins?
- Start watching Disney movies (if you don’t already) so the kids are familiar with the characters and rides they will be experiencing. This helps them to make a connection and engages them more in the vacation.
- A good idea, too, is to sit down as a family and watch your Disney Vacation Planning DVD. These can be ordered through Disney or requested from your Mouseketrips travel agent. Discuss with your child what they will see and begin to familiarize them with the parks.
- Know that like any vacation destination, souvenirs at Disney can at times be pricey. You don’t want to show up and not be able to buy something every day at every park! One tip I do with my own children is this: Target’s Dollar Spot, Dollar Tree, and Walmart all have cheap ($1) Disney trinkets in store. Stock up on these and you can hand them out when a souvenir urge arises in your little one…without breaking the bank.
- Know which rides might potentially scare your child. Many you think wouldn’t be scary have elements to them that could be frightening such as periods of darkness, loud sounds, etc. You can easily search YouTube or other search engines for full ride videos. These are great to watch with younger ones so they know what to expect.
- There are also height restrictions on many rides. Be sure to check out this list so you do not have any disappointments when they are there and can’t ride. These lists can easily be found via the Disney World and Disneyland websites.
- I would highly recommend on bringing a stroller. Disney is a A LOT of walking and little feet can tire quickly. Make plans to bring your own or rent one while in the Orlando area. Your Mouseketrips travel agent can give you great recommendations on companies that rent them out.
- Starting some type of countdown with your child is a great way to get them excited about your Disney vacation! A simple chalkboard you change everyday, construction paper rings you tear off; there are many ways to get the magic and excitement started the day you make your reservation.
- Be sure to schedule character dining beforehand. At these you are able to meet your favorite characters while enjoying a meal. Your character friends will come right up to your table to sign autographs and take pictures! Lines to meet characters can be LONG so with little ones this is a MUCH easier option to meet those favorite faces. Your Mouseketrips travel agent can give you information on all the dining options available and even make those reservations for you.
Do you have any other pre-planning tips or tricks for Disney under 5? We’d all love to hear them. Let us know in the comments.
Latest posts by Mouseketrips (see all)
- 2022 Disneyland Fall Discount - September 21, 2022
- Winter 2023 Aulani Discount - September 13, 2022
- Walt Disney World 2022 December Discount – Disney + - September 8, 2022
- 2023 Disney Cruise Kids Sail Free – Disney + - September 7, 2022
- Fall 2023 Disney Cruises - July 27, 2022