Ask anyone that has been on the Disney Wonder recently, and they will tell you it is looking a little dated and lacks the perks of Disney’s other cruise ships. This is mostly since it is the last Disney Cruise ship to go into dry dock to receive an upgrade similar to the Magic received a few years ago. Now, Disney does a fantastic job of keeping the ships all looking fantastic, but the Wonder needs an update. For years, Disney has been unable to add an external slide similar to the Disney Magic due to the fact that the Wonder must sail through the Panama Canal a few times a year. With the opening of the new Panama Canal this year, Disney is now clear to add on the external features that the other ships have.
The Disney Wonder will be in dry dock this Fall from September 9 to October 23, 2016, in Cadiz, Spain, the wave of new enhancements debut on sailings starting November 10, 2016 from Galveston, Texas.
Disney Wonder Enhancements and New Experiences
Marvel Super Hero Academy
The Marvel universe comes to life in Marvel Super Hero Academy. Here, young guests can train to develop the brave and adventurous heroes inside themselves. It’s an exciting addition to Disney’s Oceaneer Club, the engaging and interactive space just for children.
Exclusively on the Disney Wonder, Marvel Super Hero Academy will offer extraordinary adventures in which each young guest plays an integral role. With the mentorship of some of Marvel’s greatest Super Heroes, young trainees will learn the value of teamwork, bravery and problem solving through hands-on play and programs.
In one mission, Spider-Man will appear in person to help children hone their spider senses by perfecting their skills of reflex, speed and sharp minds. Children will work on their web-slinging and then get to see themselves in the headlines of the Daily Bugle.
The high-tech command post is also where other Marvel Super Heroes will interact with children via a large digital display, helping them unleash their inner heroes. In one program, kids can control the movement of a character on screen to practice super skills like repulsor blasting.
Throughout the academy, displays will feature equipment that helps make Marvel Super Heroes the mightiest in the universe. Captain America’s World War II shield, Iron Man’s helmet, Spider-Man’s web shooters and Black Widow’s gauntlets will inspire young Super Hero recruits.
More Fun for Young Guests
Elsewhere in Disney’s Oceaneer Club, open to children ages three to 12 years old, kid-sized fun continues with new play spaces and more character interactions than ever before.
- Frozen Adventures is where fun takes the form of imaginative play and hands-on activities. On the digital screen, Olaf leads summery games with a wintery twist and a sing-a-long of “In Summer.” In another festive activity, young guests prepare for a coronation and receive a truly royal and in-person visit by Anna and Elsa.
- Club Disney Junior features favorite Disney Junior characters, storytelling and games. During one activity, Doc McStuffins pays a visit to the club to help children diagnose and treat the stuffed animals.
- Andy’s Room is where kids feel toy-sized in the multi-level play space themed to the Disney-Pixar “Toy Story” trilogy. As a special treat, Woody appears in person to join youngsters in a hoedown and Jessie stops by to join in a scavenger hunt.
These and other spaces provide the perfect settings for children to meet their favorite characters, dance, play and just have fun with them.
A new It’s a Small World Nursery will delight the youngest cruisers with a whimsical world inspired by the style of the legendary theme park attraction.
Tiana’s Place Restaurant
Exclusive to the Disney Wonder, Tiana’s Place restaurant will transport guests to an era of southern charm, spirited jazz and street party celebrations. With a menu influenced by southern-style cuisine, Tiana’s Place will provide food for the body and soul, showing that dreams and dishes come true.
Guests of Tiana’s Place, the restaurant inspired by Princess Tiana in the Disney animated feature, “The Princess and the Frog,” will be treated to a celebration of New Orleans dining and entertainment. Live music will be performed on the main stage, with rhythmic, toe-tapping notes of jazz, swing and blues setting the tone for the French Quarter supper club atmosphere.
Chefs will cook up Tiana’s recipes, drawing inspiration from the flavors and ingredients of the Louisiana bayou. Tiana’s personal touch will be evident in the menu, the entertainment and throughout every detail in the restaurant. From Tiana’s family photos to water lily-shaped candleholders to her framed culinary awards – all will help tell the timeless tale of Tiana’s journey from waitress to frog to princess to proud restaurant owner.
Cheers, to an English Pub
The adult district includes a brand-new pub that invites guests to take a jaunt to an authentic English tavern. Dark woods, plush leather furniture and brass accents are reminiscent of a friendly neighborhood pub. Of course, a selection of British and specialty beers create the perfect pub atmosphere, where adult guests can sip a pint or cocktail, or sample a brew made especially for the pub.
Observant guests may discover this is no ordinary pub. Subtle nods to classic Disney films set in London can be found in artwork, props and other bits ‘n bobs throughout the space. Brilliant stories of all sorts will be celebrated at the pub, whether those tales be true, tall or flat-out mad.
Enhancements from Stem to Stern
Throughout the Disney Wonder, other new and enhanced areas include:
- After Hours – a new adult district featuring an English pub, an all-new night club and a shiny new model of the popular Cadillac Lounge
- A reimagined and relaxing Senses Spa & Salon and a new Chill Teen Spa
- Animator’s Palate main dining restaurant updated to introduce the popular “Drawn to Magic” and “Animation Magic” dinner shows
- D Lounge for family games and entertainment
- Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique providing magical makeovers for children
- Edge club for tweens
- Cabanas casual dining location
- Palo specialty restaurant makeover with Venetian-inspired décor
The ship’s upper decks also will be redesigned for waterful enjoyment:
- Twist ‘n’ Spout water slide provides splashtacular fun
- Dory’s Reef is a splash zone that offers fanciful water play for toddlers
- AquaLab is a pool and interactive water play area for kids and families
What is your favorite part of the new Disney Wonder?
Latest posts by Mouseketrips (see all)
- 2024 Adventures by Disney Discount - May 2, 2023
- Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Disney VISA Discount - April 25, 2023
- 2023 Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party - April 20, 2023
- Fall 2023 Aulani Discount - April 13, 2023
- New Disney Cruise Ship – Singapore - March 29, 2023
Leave a Reply