Walt Disney World has announced a new tour, available soon to all Walt Disney World resort guests. If you or anyone in your family are a fan of Disney’s Animal Kingdom or Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, you may want to keep reading. Guests at Walt Disney World will soon be able to book Disney’s newest experience, Sense of Africa at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. This 3.5-hour-long breakfast and tour is designed to immerse guests in the richness, culture and history of this African-inspired resort and give a backstage peek at the care, feeding, well-being and social interactions of the resident animals.
A typical tour begins with a unique twist on breakfast at Boma—Flavors of Africa, followed by encounters with animals such as okapi, giraffe, ostriches and red river hogs. Sense of Africa is a feast for all five senses.
- Taste – Start your exploration with a breakfast chockfull of exotic (try the pap, a tangy porridge-like dish from South Africa, or turkey bobotíe) and more familiar fare (Mickey waffles, anyone?). But why not be adventurous? There are so many authentic African dishes, from sweet to savory and beyond.
- Hearing – In addition to the snorts, grunts, squeals and bleats you may hear, the animal keeper guides and trainers offer a plethora of information. Did you know that the okapi wasn’t even discovered until 1901? Or that Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge houses the largest collection of authentic African art outside the African continent? Not to mention the Zen-like peacefulness of the savannas in the early hours.
- Smell – A visit to Boma—Flavors of Africa is a buffet of delicious scents and spices. On the savanna, get a whiff of the hay or browse (leaves, tender shoots and other soft vegetation, which is grown on property) the animals dine on each day.
- Touch – Here’s something you don’t always get a chance to do. Select from vegetables, mealworms and other favorites to create enriching treats for a group of young red river hogs. Then watch them playfully discover – and devour – the delights you just hid for them!
- Sight – Of course, everywhere you look—from the authentic garb of the cast members from Africa, and the color palette and textures of Jambo House, to the magnificent, intricate fur and feather patterns and expressive eyes of the animals – there are sights to behold to last a lifetime.
Sense of Africa is a real chance to get a behind-the-scenes peek at the magic. The experience will be offered on Tuesday and Saturday mornings, beginning April 9, 2016. Reservations are available starting tomorrow, April 5, 2016. For reservations, contact your travel agent or call 407-WDW-TOUR (939-8687). The cost is $249 per person, and a current reservation at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge is NOT required.
Please note: If you are a current Walt Disney World Annual Passholder or Disney Vacation Club member, you can receive a 15% discount on this tour.
Latest posts by Mouseketrips (see all)
- Walt Disney World Galactic Starcruiser Discount - January 19, 2023
- 2024 Adventures by Disney River Cruise Discounts - January 10, 2023
- Walt Disney World Spring 2023 Discount - January 5, 2023
- 2023 Walt Disney World Dining Promo Card Giveaway - January 5, 2023
- 2023 Disneyland Winter Discount - December 7, 2022