Ever since the Walt Disney Company purchased the Star Wars franchise in 2012, Disney fans have been expecting a new Star Wars land to be announced. With Star Tours currently available in both Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida and Disneyland in California, it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to add a bigger area devoted just to Star Wars. Those expectations are now becoming a reality as Disney has announced new Star Wars themed lands for both Disneyland and Hollywood Studios.
Ambitious plans to bring Star Wars to life in the two parks include creating Disney’s largest single-themed land expansions ever at 14-acres each, transporting guests to a never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port and one of the last stops before wild space where Star Wars characters and their stories come to life.
Very little information has been provided about actual attractions, restaurants or really, anything. We do know that the two Star Wars lands will have two signature attractions, including the ability to take the controls of one of the most recognizable ships in the galaxy, the Millennium Falcon on a customized secret mission, and an epic Star Wars adventure that puts guests in the middle of a climactic battle.
In Disneyland, the Star Wars Land will be built where the current Big Thunder Ranch sits, as well as some backstage area behind Fantasyland and Toon Town, which will both stay untouched. In Hollywood Studios, Star Wars Land will be built around the current Star Tours attraction, as well as land behind it. No word yet if the area currently occupied by Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, which has been rumored to close for some time now.
While it will surely take years for these Star Wars Lands to take shape, Disney isn’t waiting to thrust Star Wars on us. Several Star Wars enhancements are coming to both parks shortly:
Coming Soon – Star Wars Enhancements
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue – will include a new adventure featuring locations and characters from the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, giving guests a new adventure in the Star Wars galaxy.
- Jedi Training Academy – a favorite of younger fans, will be reimagined with a new experience that includes new characters and a new villain to battle from the popular Disney XD series, “Star Wars Rebels.”
- Star Wars Launch Bay – will take guests into the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, with special exhibits and peeks behind-the-scenes, including opportunities to visit with new and favorite Star Wars characters, special merchandise and food offerings. Star Wars Launch Bay will be located in the Animation Courtyard at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and in Tomorrowland at Disneyland park. Also at Disneyland park, Star Wars Launch Bay will share the space with the reimagined Super Hero HQ, featuring opportunities to meet and take photos with Super Heroes like Captain America and Thor, as well as experience the returning Iron Man Tech Presented by Stark Industries. Both experiences will be available for guests later this year.
- Season of the Force – a new seasonal event beginning early 2016, brings new experiences to both Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts. Disneyland – In Tomorrowland, guests will explore the Star Wars galaxy with special entertainment throughout the land, themed food locations and more. Guests also will also climb aboard Hyperspace Mountain, a reimagining of the classic Space Mountain attraction, in which guests will join an X-wing Starfighter battle. Walt Disney World – at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, guests will close out weekend nights with a new fireworks spectacular set to the iconic score of the Star Wars movies. No further information has been announced about Star Wars weekends, whether they will continue or be replaced by the new Season of the Force, or if they will two separate events.
Are you excited to see Star Wars added to both parks?
Latest posts by Mouseketrips (see all)
- 2022 Disneyland Fall Discount - September 21, 2022
- Winter 2023 Aulani Discount - September 13, 2022
- Walt Disney World 2022 December Discount – Disney + - September 8, 2022
- 2023 Disney Cruise Kids Sail Free – Disney + - September 7, 2022
- Fall 2023 Disney Cruises - July 27, 2022