On Friday, May 22, 2015, Walt Disney World is kicking off their “Coolest Summer Ever” celebration with a 24-hour party at the Magic Kingdom: the park is open from 6 AM on the 22nd through 6 AM on the 23rd. The first 24-hour Magic Kingdom day was offered in 2012, and Disney has been repeating the event every summer since. There will be lots of unique and exciting extras to enjoy throughout the park, and we’ve got 6 tips to help you prepare for 24 hours of Disney magic:
- Dress Up – As part of the Summer Kick-Off celebration, guests are welcome to show their “Disney Side” and come in costume to the Magic Kingdom. Most of the year it’s only the little kids who are allowed to dress up, so the 24-hour party is like a Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party that you don’t need an extra ticket for (you know, minus the Halloween stuff…).
- Plan your Hours – The 24-hour event lets you experience the Magic Kingdom at hours when guests normally aren’t allowed in the park. When else could you ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at 4 AM in the morning? Guests who arrive at opening will be able to watch the sunrise over Cinderella Castle – have your camera ready!
- Come Prepared – If you’re a diehard Disney fan planning to be in the Magic Kingdom for 24 hours straight, you’re going to want to make sure you’re ready for the long haul. Drink plenty of water and plan to take a break for meals to sit down in the air conditioning and recharge. Also be sure to bring back-up batteries or portable chargers for your phone, camera, and other devices.
- Eighteen Hours of Fastpass Plus – This is a popular event taking place over Memorial Day weekend. It’s going to get fairly crowded, and there will be long lines, especially in the afternoon, so don’t forget to use your Fastpass Plus wisely! The first time slot for Fastpass Plus reservations on May 22, 2015 is 6:05 AM to 7:05 AM, and the last time slot is 11:35 PM to 12:35 AM.
- Food and Beverages – Many restaurants at the Magic Kingdom are open early and late for the extra hours, and you’ll often discover some surprise offerings on the menu to celebrate the event. Don’t forget to look out for exclusive merchandise at the shops as well.
- Special Characters – You may find Minnie and Mickey still in their pajamas to greet you at the turnstiles at 6 AM, and unusual characters often make appearances at meet and greet locations throughout the park after 11 PM. Also after dark: get ready for some dance parties!
Both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure Parks in California will also be participating in the 24-hour summer kickoff on the exact same day. Please note however, that costumes ARE NOT allowed at the Disneyland Resort, so please do not wear them or you will not be allowed into the parks.
Will you be attending the 24-hour day at the Magic Kingdom?