Many people don’t think of Walt Disney World as an adult destination for a romantic, relaxing getaway, in fact some wouldn’t even think of traveling to a Disney destination without their kids. However, over the years this family friendly destination has become a popular destination for weddings, honeymoons, vow renewals and any other adult special occasions such as birthdays, engagements and other special milestone celebrations such including retirement. With expert guidance, itinerary planning, pixie dust and magic, you can turn the family-friendly atmosphere of Walt Disney World into a romantic, relaxing adult getaway in no time!
- Splurge. Stay at a Deluxe Resort. Every resort on Walt Disney World property is family friendly, however, the deluxe resorts are more expensive and closest to the parks, but they have lots to offer for adults. Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa and Boardwalk Inn are just a few top choices. Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa is quaint and the home of Disney’s Wedding Chapel. A popular resort choice for adults on their honeymoon where you can get a theme park view room overlooking Magic Kingdom and Cinderella’s Castle or enjoy a day at the spa or a round of golf. Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa is just a boat ride or walk away from Downtown Disney with lots of restaurants, shopping and entertainment where adults can enjoy a day or evening outside the parks or stay at the resort and rent bikes or take a stroll along the many running/walking paths. This resort also includes a day spa and golf course amongst other amenities. Disney’s Boardwalk Inn is one of my favorite resorts for honeymooners offering special honeymoon cottages towards the middle of the resort for that quiet getaway. Walking distance to Epcot, this is the perfect location to stay during the popular Food and Wine Festival.
- Indulge in the Magic Your Way Premium or Platinum Packages. If you’re traveling as adults, you’ll want to enjoy some relaxation and fun time. With the Magic Your Way Premium and Platinum Packages all your meals are included you can use your entitlements at Signature/Fine Dining experiences as well as dinner shows. You can also enjoy a night out at Cirque du Soleil, unlimited sports and recreation experiences, take select tours throughout Disney’s parks or relax at the spa and much more.
- Enjoy a spa treatment, or other special experience. You can indulge in spa treatments at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, Villas at Disney’s Yacht Club, Disney’s Coronado Springs, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Dolphin Hotel. Each of these varies in experience and price and some are connected to a fitness center. If you choose the Magic Your Way Platinum Package, a spa treatment is included.
- Take a Specialty Fireworks Cruise. Book a fireworks cruise experience on the Seven Seas Lagoon to view Wishes overlooking Magic Kingdom or watch Illuminations when your pontoon boat sails up International Gateway near World Showcase Lagoon in Epcot. These private fireworks viewing experiences are very popular for special occasions such as birthdays, engagements and other milestone celebrations and can accommodate special food and drinks orders from Disney resorts as well. Advanced reservations are required and prices vary depending on the experience.
- Food and Drink. Whether it’s sampling drinks around the World Showcase during the Food and Wine Festival in Epcot or enjoying Wishes from the California Grille, there are plenty of adult friendly food and drink options at Disney. Narcoosee’s, California Grille, The Flying Fish Café and Le Cellier are top signature locations for dining without children. If you’re up for a splurge for that special occasion, try Victoria and Albert’s inside Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort for a romantic night out or even request the Chefs table at any fine dining location.
- Don’t forget about the “kid stuff”. Instead of waiting in long lines for a stand-by wait time or using a fastpass for a character meet and greet, try getting an advance dining reservation for a character breakfast or dinner. These experiences can be just as fun and romantic without kids, besides, we’re all big kids at heart anyway and who doesn’t want their picture taken with Mickey Mouse! Dining reservations open as early as 7:30am and if you get in early there will less kids, you could get in and out be on your way in no time!
- Disney’s Boardwalk Entertainment. The Boardwalk area is a fun destination with a different atmosphere from Downtown Disney at night. There’s a great piano bar, Jellyrolls, which serves Guests 21 years of age and older. Be there early to grab a table as Jellyrolls is one of the hottest nightspots in the Orlando area and seats fill up fast; a cover charge is applicable for admission. The Boardwalk is also a romantic place to watch Illuminations. If you stand on the bridge facing EPCOT, you can see Illuminations nightly and bring a bottle of wine or your favorite beverage to enjoy the fireworks.
- Enjoy the parks at night. The parks are beautiful and romantic at night and sometimes less crowded depending on the time of year. Even if you take your time in the morning to enjoy a round of golf or a leisurely breakfast, you’ll have tons of time to enjoy the parks into the wee hours of the morning during extra magic hours.
- Take a carriage ride. Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside and the campgrounds at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge offer carriage rides around their property. Relax and add this experience during a vacation around the holidays for that perfect romantic evening you won’t forget.
- Characters in Flight. Characters in Flight is a tethered hot air balloon ride at Downtown Disney that goes up to 400 feet in the air with breath taking views of Walt Disney World property. This 8-10 minute experience, while not a “must do every trip”, is fun for adults and relatively inexpensive. Try to schedule your time for the evening, when the lights of Downtown Disney are blazing.
These are just a few of my favorite options you can do on an adult only Disney vacation. What is yours?
Latest posts by Mouseketrips (see all)
- 2023 Adventures by Disney Discount - May 3, 2022
- 2022 Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party - April 28, 2022
- Summer 2023 Disney Cruises - April 27, 2022
- Walt Disney World Summer 2022 Disney VISA Discount - April 19, 2022
- Fall 2022 Aulani Discount - April 7, 2022